Friday, April 30, 2010

I am going to Japan tomorrow, and I need tips, advice an causions!?

Japanese people are very strict about there rules and stuff I hear.


If you have any tips, advice or causions I need to be aware of before I go, please tell me! Anything you can think of. I am going for 2 weeks, and I am from Canada.I am going to Japan tomorrow, and I need tips, advice an causions!?
I think Japanese are going to be understanding especially with foreigners. I recently was there and found the culture amazing, the country beautiful and the people as helpful and friendly.





Tips:





Don't eat while walking around - hardly anyone does this because it is considered rude. The only person I saw eating on a commuter train was a bum.





I bought a little washcloth because often the many temples you visit and other places don't have paper towels to wipe your hands after you wash them.





Make sure that you pay attention to signs. Some places / temples don't allow photographs. I saw one person get his camera taken away by a priest/monk. It was an ordeal and he was told no pictures but didn't listen.





Japan is really safe so no worries walking around at night or carrying a bunch of money on you.





Take lots and lots and lots of pictures. I took 600 and I wish I had more. Don't just take temple pictures but of everything: the people, the signs, the buildings the food everything!!!!!





Try the candy and cookies and crackers. A lot of that stuff is hard to get where you live.





If you have a tatoo, cover it up. It may not be such a big deal if you look like a tourist but I know that some japanese onsen don't allow tatooed people in and you need to buy some makeup to cover it up.





Japanese don't typically shake hands, they bow.





Get in line - don't just bum rush into the bus or train. Wait inline and be patient. I noticed that when I walked down a busy train station or busy street - nobody ever bumped me. If you do accidently bump someone then say - Sumimasen (excuse me).





Keep cash with you always. Japan is very cash based. Many people take credit cards but those little restaurants and local stores only take cash.I am going to Japan tomorrow, and I need tips, advice an causions!?
If you are visiting someone's house take off your shoes at the door.


Don't be offended if you speak to someone in English and they completely blank you, they are not being rude, but if they feel that they are not very good at speaking English they don't want to offend you so won't try and talk back, this doesn't happen very often but just to warn you.


Stick to the one side on the escalators.


Expect to get squished in the elevators or on the train, they really pack them in.


a good word to learn is ';Suimasen'; which means excuse me, I would like service, would you like service, even hello in some cases. It can be used in a number of ways and so is good to know.


If you are having an alcoholic drink in a pub you have to order food! THIS IS A MUST it is illegal not to eat if you are drinking in Japan, usually they bring you a small dish when you first sit down but ordering more food is expected.





Hope you have an amazing time!
They don't use spoon/fork, they use chopsticks most f the time.


Prices of products are expensive.


Most grocery shops are on sale on chosen days, like Erena


Not most speak English.


When going to the grocery bring an extra bag to put your items bought. you could save 2 yen by doing that.


Japanese people starts their agenda on time.
Do not tip at restaurant or other places.


Do not talk on cell phone on train or bus.


Stay at left when you are on escalator for 2 people.


Let passengers exit first when you are about to get on train.
You should put a Canadian-flag patch on your backpack as every Canadian does in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment